Steve.

I met up with an old friend recently for his new band's performance. It had been far too long since we spent time together.  It's sad how preoccupied we can get in our lives.  Petty things distract us from what truly matters.  I'm not immune to not showing up because I'm tired, cranky, worried about traffic, lazy or just selfish. It's not okay.  It really isn't.  There are too many reasons TO show up.  

I spoke about this with my friend last night before he got on stage and belted his heart and soul out.  I love musicians.  I love their sweaty hugs when they bound off the stage. I love all artists really, but especially the ones that are intensely passionate about their work.  I love the fans and the supporters that are always there with big smiles and their hands in the air.  

We talked about a mutual friend (to me, an acquaintance) Steve Brodksy whom I met in 2009 on the road shooting photos of my friends band.  That trip remains to this day one of the best times in my life.  I've meant for so long to write and share the photos in a way that fully expresses how intimate, fun, exhausting and beautiful that road trip was, but I will save it for another time.

I didn't know Steve well.  We only spent a few days hanging in Austin and San Francisco, but his smile, enthusiasm and encouragment was enough to find a place in my heart.  It's been over a year since he passed.  I've often thought of the pictures of him on my hard drives.  I hadn't been able to take a look at them, but I did today.  People come and go in our lives and it takes massive, Herculean effort at times to tell them how we really feel.  Life's short.  It really is.

I'm not saying to neglect your job, kids, dog or super important life's passion THING you are working on right now, but make a mental list of who you like, who you love, who matters, even if you hardly know them.  Don't wait until tomorrow to share whatever feelings you are holding.  Really, don't wait.

Be love.

Rest In Peace brother.